How to Help
To help us you can do any or all of the following:
- Send a check to 369 Montezuma Ave. #130, Santa Fe, NM 87501
- Make a gift of stocks, bonds or property (call us at 505-757-6817 for details)
- Earmark a contribution to Bessie’s Desperate Animal Medical Fund, which is restricted for emergency veterinary expenses.
- Make a safe, secure credit card donation via Paypal
Make a secure donation here:
All of the Sanctuary’s funds come from private donations and foundation grants. We are a registered 501c3, non-profit organization, so any donation you make is entirely tax-deductible. Most of the money we receive is spent for veterinary care, food for the animals and one full-time staff member. Our founder and director, Natalie Owings, works without salary, as do our volunteers and members of the Sanctuary’s board of directors.
We have three major projects in mind:
- Corrals and a small barn for abused, unwanted or very old horses. Horse rescue is badly needed in New Mexico, where far too many healthy, gentle horses are sent to a terrible death in slaughterhouses.
- A cabin for humane education, where children can gather to learn more about animals—how to care for them, respect them and help them.
- An on-site veterinary clinic, staffed by local vets and vets techs, to offer no- or low-cost spay and neuter services to our surrounding rural, largely poor community.
You’re welcome to specify that your donation is to be used for one of these major projects.
We welcome volunteers at Heart and Soul—to hike with the dogs and donkeys, to groom the dogs, to clean up after the chickens and rabbits, to trim trees and clear brush, or simply to play with the animals.
Every Monday, for example, Phylis Lewis drives to the Sanctuary from her home in the Jemez Mountains—a two-hour trip—to clean the cat home, hike with the animals to our “Grand Canyon,” and play with the dogs and cats. She and her husband also adopted Tulip, one of our wonderful puppies.